a hungry family of 4
Always a family favourite, with added chilli jam for a little extra je ne sais quoi.
5 free-range eggs
275ml sparkling water
275g plain flour
a big pinch of salt
12 of your favourite sausages
2 onions (red is best, but we used one white and one red, as that’s what we had)
Scarlett & Mustard Chilli Jam
your favourite veg and some gravy to serve
1. We always think the batter is better if it sits for a bit beforehand, an hour or so is fine. Whisk your eggs up in a large bowl, then add the milk and sparkling water. Whilst still whisking, to stop it getting lumpy, slowly add the flour and salt. When it’s smooth and thick leave to one side, now you can rest your whisking arm.
2. Preheat your oven to 180°c.
3. Cut your onions into 8ish wedges each, keeping the roots intact if you can. Pop a generous glug of oil into your biggest roasting tin and swirl it around so it gets up the sides a bit. Chuck in your onion wedges and sausages and daub them all with Scarlett & Mustard Chilli Jam, we used 4 teaspoons.
4. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and arrange the sausages and onions as evenly and nicely as you can. Now pour the batter slowly into the tray, trying not to wash the sausages and onions all down to one end.
6. Pop back in the oven for another 20 minutes, or until your batter looks beautiful and the sausages are cooked.
7. Serve with your favourite veggies and an ocean of gravy.